McKinney Juvenile Assault Attorneys
It’s every parent’s nightmare. It’s 3:00 a.m., and you get a call. Your child was arrested on assault charges. Immediately you realize that you need a lawyer, now.
If you need to retain a juvenile assault attorney for your daughter or son, contact the criminal defense attorneys at Rosenthal Barbieri. They are ready to help you and your family during this difficult and stressful time.
The attorneys at Rosenthal Barbieri have represented thousands of juveniles accused of crimes in McKinney, Texas. Their significant number of acquittals and sentence reductions have earned them a national reputation. Locally, they were voted as The Best Law Firm in McKinney.
If your child faces juvenile criminal assault charges, contact the attorneys at Rosenthal Barbieri as soon as possible. Your child’s future depends on it.
Our staff is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We can be reached at (972) 369-0577. You can also contact us by email or by online chat.
Do I Need a Juvenile Assault Attorney?
If your child was arrested on juvenile assault charges, you doubtless have many questions. You are probably wondering if your child will be charged as an adult or a minor.
In Texas, juveniles are defined as children between the ages of 10 and 16. A 17-year-old adolescent will most likely be charged as an adult. Additionally, depending on the circumstances, a prosecutor can choose to try a juvenile as an adult.
The decision as to whether a juvenile will be tried as an adult will depend on a number of different factors. The court will consider whether the minor’s crime was against a person or property.
It will also consider the juvenile’s age and level of maturity. Other factors include the adolescent’s prior criminal history and their likelihood of rehabilitation.
If your child is charged with assault, they are most likely to be processed through the juvenile justice system. A juvenile assault attorney will represent your child through the different hearings that take place in the juvenile system.
- First Offender Program – If your child is referred to the first offender program, they will be released and will have to follow through with completing community service and providing restitution to their victim.
- Detention Hearing – This hearing will take place within one business day of your child’s detention. After the arrest is made, the juvenile will be released to their parents or guardians. However, if the charges involve violent crimes, your child may be retained in a juvenile facility. This determination will be made at the detention hearing. A new detention hearing will take place every ten days thereafter.
- Trial or Adjudication Hearing – Your attorney will represent your child at trial. At trial, your lawyer may move to exclude evidence and cross-examine witnesses on behalf of the State.
- Disposition Hearing – At this hearing, the court will decide the punishment if your child is found guilty of assault. Your attorney will be present at the hearing to ensure that your child receives the most lenient punishment possible.
You can rely on the attorneys at Rosenthal Barbieri to be by your family’s side throughout the entire process, working on behalf of your family to obtain the best possible result for your child.
Why Choose Rosenthal Barbieri To Handle My Child’s Juvenile Assault Case?
Jeremy Rosenthal, a graduate of SMU Law School, is one of the firm’s founders. Jeremy has obtained dismissals and acquittals for hundreds of clients in Texas state court. In 2014, he became Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Criminal Law.
Jeremy serves on the Board of Directors for the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyer’s Association, where he is the co-chairman of the technology committee and the editor for the Voice for the Defense Blog. Jeremy is the President of the McKinney Bar Association. He is also active in the Collin County Bar Association Trial College and the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyer’s Association, amongst others.
Due to his successes, Jeremy was named to the list of Texas Super Lawyers in 2019. This is a recognition given to less than 5% of all of the attorneys in Texas.
As the largest criminal defense law firm in Collin County, our firm has the resources and skills to thoroughly investigate your charges, interview witnesses, and build a strong case in your child’s defense. Your child’s rights and freedoms are important to us, and every one of our highly skilled defense attorneys will ensure that your child receives the best possible outcome for their case.
Juvenile Assault Cases We Handle
A juvenile may be convicted of assault in Texas if the juvenile:
1) Intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causes bodily injury to another;
2) Intentionally or knowingly threatens another person with imminent bodily injury; or
3) Intentionally or knowingly causes physical contact with another person when the juvenile knows or should reasonably believe that the other will regard the contact as offensive or provocative.
If the minor uses a weapon in the assault, and the assault results in a serious injury, the juvenile will be charged with aggravated assault.
The penalty imposed on the juvenile will depend on whether the minor is convicted of, or pleas to a misdemeanor or felony assault.
However, regardless of the penalty, if convicted of assault in Texas, your child will face the following consequences:
- Revocation of their driver’s license;
- Expulsion from school;
- Lost educational opportunities and college admittances;
- Difficulty obtaining employment; and
Call Rosenthal Barbieri Now Regarding Your Juvenile Assault Matter
If your child faces juvenile assault charges, you need to retain a juvenile attorney immediately. A conviction for assault can have serious repercussions that can follow your child throughout their lifetime. The experienced attorneys at Rosenthal Barbieri can help secure the best possible outcome for your family.
Contact the attorneys at Rosenthal Barbieri now to schedule your free consultation regarding your child’s assault case.
Our attorneys can be reached at (972) 369-0577. Feel free to contact us by email or online chat.
Our initial consultation is free.